Yes. When you begin an application for an Amalgamated Bank account, you will be asked to create a username and password that will be associated with your account application. If you wish to save your progress and continue later, you must complete the fields on the page on which you are working, and click the “Save and continue later” button at the bottom of the page. When you wish to log back in to complete your application, you may resume your application by using this link and entering the username and password you created when you began the application. Please note that the username and password you create for your account application are different from the username and password you will use to access Online Banking. You will create a username and password for Online Banking upon enrolling in Online Banking. If you need help along the way, call us at 800-662-0860.
Online Account Opening
- Can I save my application and finish it later?
- Do I have to be a union member to bank with Amalgamated?
No, you do not have to be a member of a union to bank with us.
- How do I fund an account that I open online?
To fund an account online, you can either transfer funds from your account at another financial institution, provide a debit or credit card at account opening, send us a check, or if you are already an Amalgamated Bank customer, you can transfer funds from your existing account. No matter which method of funding you choose, please ensure that sufficient funds are available to be transferred.
To deposit checks by mail, send a check payable to “Amalgamated Bank” to Amalgamated Bank, Attn.: Branch Manager, 10 East 14th Street, New York, NY 10003. Don’t forget to include your account number in the memo line.
In order for us to fund an account by check, it must meet the following requirements:
- The check must be signed and dated.
- The check must be payable to Amalgamated Bank, to you, or to “Cash.” Please be advised that, for security purposes, it is not recommended to mail checks made out to “Cash.” If the check is not payable directly to “Amalgamated Bank,” it must be endorsed properly. (Please do not endorse checks made payable to Amalgamated Bank.)
- If you wish to send us a check that is made payable to you, please endorse it on the back with your signature and, below your signature, write “For Deposit Only in Account” followed by your account number.
- You must include instructions indicating the account to which the check should be credited. You can do this by writing your account number on the memo line or reverse side of the check. (You do not need to use a deposit slip.)
Deposits made by check are accepted at our sole discretion. We reserve the right to refuse, return, or limit any deposit you make to your account. Please refer to our Account Opening Disclosures for more information.
- How long will it take to open an account when I apply online?
If there are no exceptions during the review process, your account will be opened immediately. You will receive a confirmation with your account number at the end of the process. If there are exceptions and further review is required or if we need to contact you directly, you should expect to receive your welcome email with your new account number within two (2) business days.
- How long will it take to receive my ATM/Debit Card?
You will receive your Debit or ATM Card within ten business days after we have approved your application and opened your account.
- How will I be notified when my account is open?
You will be notified via E-mail and U.S. Mail when your account has been opened. You'll also receive instructions about viewing your new account information online at that time.
- I do not have an email address. Can I still open an account?
In order to open an account online, the primary account owner and co-applicant (if applicable) must have an e-mail address. If you (or your co-applicant, if applicable) do not have an email address, please visit any one of our branches to open an account.
- I do not want my home address to appear anywhere on my account. Can I give you my Post Office Box instead?
You can give us a Post Office Box as a mailing address, but we must also have your home address for our records. Our account application process allows you to make this distinction.
- Is there a minimum balance I need to deposit or maintain to avoid a fee? What are the monthly fees?
Please refer to your Terms and Conditions.
- What happens if I do not agree to the terms and conditions of the disclosure?
If you do not agree to the terms and conditions in our disclosure, you will not be able to open an account with us.
- What if I do not have any of the pieces of identification on your list?
If you do not have any of the identification documents we have requested, you may still be able to open an account at one of our branches. Before you come to see us, please call the branch where you plan to open your account to discuss the identification documentation you are missing.
- What information do I need to open a joint account?
A detailed list of required information for all account owners, individual and joint, can be found on the introductory page of the application process.
- What is an ownership type?
An ownership type indicates whether an account has one signer (an individual account) or two signers (a joint account), and whether or not a beneficiary has been designated. If you are opening a Checking account, you cannot designate a beneficiary.
- When can I make additional deposits into my new account?
You can make additional deposits to your account as soon as you receive your account number.
- Which account is right for me?
Since we offer several different accounts, we recommend that you review the features and benefits of each which you’ll find under the personal services tab. If you still have a question about which account to open, please feel free to contact us at 800-699-3679.